Friday, January 8, 2010

Alright...I just got a 10 week old baby girl Husky...Do you have any advice for me?

Shes tearing up her sheets I put out for her to do her business on...she kind of wanted to attack my cat, and her and my other dog were smelling eachother through a fence, and my other dog wouldnt stop crying...My main concern is the baby and my cat...how can I get them both to calmly get together?Alright...I just got a 10 week old baby girl Husky...Do you have any advice for me?
Let her in the rooms where the cat has been and keep the cat safely in another area so puppy can smell cat's scent. After a few days let them have supervised time together and gently tell the puppy ';No, kitty friend'; while pulling her back if she is too aggressive with it. Make sure the puppy has adequate exercise, Huskies were bred to run miles a day so she will get bored and look for trouble if her energy is not channeled properly. Look at her as a personal trainer, lots of walks and playing ball will reinforce you as her Alpha and she will do what you ask more readily. Good Luck!Alright...I just got a 10 week old baby girl Husky...Do you have any advice for me?
It is known for huskies and cats not to get along. Since she is a puppy, she will need obedience training. Let her know you are the boss, and you wont let her chase the cat. The obedience trainer will show you how without being mean.
Newspaper and training pads aren't the greatest for potty training. Think about it...you're actually encouraging your puppy to do her business in the house.


Crate training is the best way to go about potty training. ';How To Train Your Siberian Husky'; by Liz Palika is a GREAT book. It will give you sooo much information on potty training and formal training for your baby girl.


As far as the cat...yes Huskies are known for higher prey drives. However she is a puppy and puppies almost always adapt to cats. It's a lot easier when they grow up with one. She may chase the kitty. Make sure your cat has somewhere to hide or something to jump on to get away from the puppy. My Sibe LOVES his two kitties. Things were a little crazy at first. A lot of barking and hissing. Things calmed down after a couple of weeks and now they chase each other around the house.


If she tries to grab the kitty or is successful in putting her mouth on it yell no in a firm voice. Let her know it isn't acceptable. Holding the cat and letting the pup be close as well will help.


Playing with her and wearing her out will also help. If she's tired she won't be so inclined to bug the cat and want to chase it.


The best advice though is to go get that book. It will answer all your questions. Your local library may have it.
got to give it time, this is all new to her and your cat, I had a beagle puppy and a cat believe me a hunter of small games with a cat its them who have to get to know eachother, pretty much leave them be unless she goes to attack it and your cat cant defend itself then swat at your dog and growl a no cat, this will let him know you mean buisness, believe me once my beagle and cat got to know eachother they were sprawled out in the sun sleeping together, and when my cat passed away at 3 that dog was howling up a storm beacuse he missed his best friend. so give it time and goodluck! I am in the same boat as you have a 2 month shiba inu puppy and a 2 yr old mini dachshund who doesnt know what to do!





As for the papers could be because she hasnt associated them yet with potty and only sees them as a play toy and shreds them, when she shreds them correct her and say no shred and give that time too believe me I have pads for my Shiba Inu and he licks them as hes peeing away from them.
You need to play with your pet more.Take her for short walks but if it is too cold play in the house!Bring your cat and puppy near eachother and show your cat your Husky can be gentle.Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment